All of the items below can be submitted on the Graduate School Application website. Original transcripts and test scores should still be sent to the department.
- On-line Graduate School Application at http://gradschool.siu.edu/applygrad/.
- $65 Non-waivable Application Fee – On-line credit card payment submitted with the Graduate School application.
- Personal/Goals Statement – One or two page description of your professional goals. Include in your statement the following information: Planned field of specialization, if any; type of professional position and career activities you hope to pursue after completing your degree program, relationship between previous training and experience and your goals, how the ER&P program of studies might help you achieve your stated goals.
- Curriculum vita or Resume
- Four (4) letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended – Originals in sealed envelopes or photocopies with an original school seal and original signature certified by the Registrar’s Office, Controller of Exams, or a U.S. Educational foundation at the school you are presently attending. Mark sheets stamped by the department professor are not acceptable.
- GRE Report - Institution code 1726, no department code. GRE scores are required for admission to the program, assistantships and fellowships.
International Students also include
- SIU Financial Statement for Graduate International Students (print both sides)
- Copy of Passport page with typed legal name and birth date. The name on your Graduate School application must be the same as it appears on your passport. If you do not have a passport, please send a note explaining why.
- TOEFL Report – The test date should be within 24 months of the proposed term of admission. Minimum scores:
- 550 Paper based
- 213 Computer based
- 80 Internet based
- 6.5 IELTS
International students who have recently completed at least 100 semester hours of graded coursework at an accredited institution in the U.S. will be given the same consideration for admission as a U.S. Citizen, in regard to the use of English as a foreign language. Completion of an intensive English program will not substitute for the TOEFL.
International Students who have completed less than 100 hours of course work in the U.S., but submitted and official TOEFL score meeting the minimum required score to the previous U.S. school when they were admitted there will meet the English language requirement as long as enrollment in the U.S. has been continuous.
Students who have attended SIUC or other U.S. schools, but then returned home for an extended period of time, may be required to retake the TOEFL.
Every applicant is considered for graduate assistantships.
Full consideration for fall admission and graduate assistantships begins in February. Applications for the spring are due October 15th and only exceptional applicants may be admitted for spring semesters.
The deadline for applying for a Doctoral Fellowship is January 1st. The requirements and criteria for Doctoral Fellowships can be found at http://gradschool.siu.edu/cost-aid/doctoral.html.
Original transcripts and application material that is not uploaded can be mailed to the department at:
Environmental Resources & Policy PhD Program
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Advanced Coal and Energy Research Center - Mail Code 4637
405 W Grand Avenue
Carbondale, IL 62901